The future has a long tradition at SMB
SMB Schwermechanik GmbH: our history
1867 - The history of SMB starts with the acquisition of 600,000 m² premises in Wildau by "Berliner Maschinenbau AG" (BMAG), founded by Louis Schwartzkopff who ran the company for many years as General Director. Manufacturing facilities for the construction of locomotives are established on this site, as well as housing for workers.
1907 - Together with the "J.A. Maffei" company from Munich, a new company is founded - "Maffei-Schwartzkopff-Werke GmbH". Production in Wildau now includes steam turbines, generators and centrifugal pumps.
1913 - After the construction of further production halls, general mechanical engineering is transferred from Berlin to Wildau.
1945 - At the end of the Second World War, following 78 successful years, locomotive production at "Schwartzkopff" is terminated.
1952 - Expansion of heavy engineering (SMB) is recommenced at the Wildau site. Over subsequent years, a steel smelting works and production facilities for the manufacture of crankshafts are operated at the plant premises. These production facilities also belong to GMH Gruppe today - "Wildauer Schmiede- und Kurbelwellentechnik GmbH" (WSK).
1991 - Due to the excellent infrastructure of a closely linked port, motorway and suburban rail network connection as well as close proximity to the airport in Schönefeld, Wildau is the chosen location for the "Technical University of Applied Sciences Wildau". Wildau, as a hub for technology, is also home to a Technologie- und Gründerzentrum (TGZ - technology and start-up centre) as well as the neighbouring Aerospace Technology Centre.
2017 -Machining is a core area of expertise at the Wildau location. It has continuously developed over the decades and today is a service offered by specialists of "SMB Schwermechanik GmbH". The company has belonged to GMH Gruppe since 2017 - an alliance comprised of a global network of over 20 companies from the steel industry.